Pages

Friday, January 18, 2013

Pork Chops!

Food and running go hand in hand.  When you run food taste better and when you eat the right food your runs feel better.

This year for my Birthday I am getting a really cool gift.  Seeing my success on the Primal Diet my family has agreed that for the entire month of February, we will all eat Primal.  While this doesn't change much for me, it is going to take a lot of the stress out of the day to day routine with nothing in the fridge, but Primal friendly foods.  I decided to start my family off a bit early the other night and cook them a really awesome recipe from Sarah Fragoso’s Everyday Paleo. Sarah is an amazing mother of 3, a trainer at Robb Wolfs’ Gym, and she still finds time to cook some of the best food I've ever tasted! I rarely even start a cooking adventure without first opening one of her books. I've added my own touches to the recipe so anyone familiar with Sarahs’ work will notice a difference.

Drew’s Take on Apple Shallot Onion Pork Chops
- 1 & ½ Apples
- ½ Yellow Onion
- 5 Tablespoons of Coconut oil
- Cinnamon and Sea Salt
- 4 pork chops
- ¼ cup of White Wine


First, cut up the apples and onion.  Cut the apples into super thin slices then cut the slices in half.  A similar style cut can be used for the onion. Put 4 Tablespoons of the Coconut oil in a large skillet and heat on medium heat. Then, add the onion slices. About a minute later, add the apples and put a thin layer of cinnamon on the apples and saute for 5 minutes or until the apples begin to tender but remain a little crisp, be sure to let the onions caramelize a bit. Take the apples and onions out of the pan then, add the last tablespoon of coconut oil. Before putting the chops in the pan, rub generous amounts of cinnamon into the chops along with a sprinkling of sea salt. When you put the chops into the hot pan sear them on each side for 2 minutes.  Then add the wine and apple/onion mix back into the pan and cook, covered, for 5 - 8 minutes (depending on the thickness of the chops).

This meal quickly became a favorite in the house. I love cooking it because of how fast and easy it is and my family loves eating it because, well, its delicious!  In fact everyone loved it so much we've had it 3 nights in a row. 

No comments:

Post a Comment