Pages

Friday, January 25, 2013

Primal Blueprint Supplement Preview

Mark Sisson is a pretty amazing person. He is a former distance runner, triathlete and Ironman competitor. On top of that he has also written The Primal Blueprint and runs the MarksDailyApple.com Blog. Considering how much respect I have for the man and how much his thoughts on primal living basically saved my life, when it comes to supplements, I'm pretty excited to give his a try.  Let me start by saying that there is absolutely nothing wrong with the vitamin regimen I'm on now,  I'm just a big fan of using myself as a Guinea pig until I find the absolute best for me. That's most likely the reason my running shoe collection rivals most girls high-heel collections.  

Yesterday in the mail I received Marks Platinum Package. The line up includes a 30-day supply of each: Primal Fuel, Damage Control Master Formula, Vitamin D, Vital Omegas, and Primal Flora.  The Star of the show here is the Damage Control Master Formula which is Marks Multivitamin. The thing I immediately liked about the setup is that each dose comes in an individually wrapped packet so it’s easy to grab what you need and go.











The nutrition seems to be everything you'd expect from a multivitamin, 

but with amounts blowing your traditional multivitamin out of the water. The Formula also includes a lineup of antioxidants and other trace minerals missing from most multivitamins. Mark claims that he uses the purest ingredients from bio-available sources so it will be easy on your gut and best for your overall health.  I'm looking forward to comparing it to my current multivitamin.

Next in the lineup is the Primal Fuel.  Mark considers this a meal replacement in addition to a protein shake.  Its got 20g of whey protein as you'd expect but the 10g of fat (6g of saturated) adds the "meal" aspect to the drink.  I tried this as soon as I got home from work as I had yet to have dinner.  It was easy enough to mix, 2 scoops in the blender bottle it came with, 10oz of water, shake, and drink. I had the Chocolate and it was pretty tasty.  I also had it with a handful of almonds and I have to say I was pretty well set for the rest of the night.  It won't be replacing my meat dishes anytime soon but I could see myself using it as a meal replacement.

The other three bottles it comes with are Vitamin D, Vital Omegas, and Primal Flora. 

Clockwise from the top: Flora, Vitamin D,
then the Omega

Vitamin D is pretty self explanatory, if not, check out Marks breakdown of Vitamin D and why we need it here. Next is the Vital Omegas. Now Marks calls it Omegas when its really just Omega, Omega 3.  Right now I'm on a blend of Omega 3,6, and 9 so I'm interested to see if there's a change in how I feel on just the 3's. I will also be writing Mark to find out why he left out the 6's and 9's. Lastly, there's the Flora aka probiotic.  The idea here is "our hunter-gatherer ancestors ate dirt. When you never wash your hands or your food (or anything for that matter) you pretty much can’t avoid it. But with all that soil came billions of soil-based organisms (mostly bacteria and yeast) that entered their mouths daily and populated their guts. Most were “friendly” bacteria that actually helped them better digest food and ward off infections. In fact, much of the human immune system evolved to depend on these healthy “flora” living in us symbiotically. The problem today is that we don't eat dirt; we wash everything. Of course, given what is in and on the dirt around us, it’s probably best that we do wash it all. But in the process we never get a chance to ingest those healthy bacteria that our bodies expect us to. Enter Primal Flora, 30 billion "friendly" bacteria ready to set up shop in your gut and keep you regular and healthy.  

Like I said earlier,  I'm pretty excited to try Mark’s line up and see how it compares to my current line up.  Full review coming towards the end of February.

1 comment:

  1. Hi Drew,

    Hope all is well! Did you ever write a follow-up review? Are you still taking these supplements?

    Thanks!
    Lindsay

    ReplyDelete