Pages

Thursday, February 21, 2013

Good Morning Everyone!

I'm sorry about not having a new post ready for you guys by now.  Life has been a bit hectic as of late. Between my training volume increasing, spending more time in the kitchen, and, as always, work and my daughter, I've had very little time to actually sit down and write.  My Birthday is in a few days, which means I'll have even less time to myself and more time navigating menus trying to find halfway decent food while trying to convince friends not to order me "Birthday Dessert" (ah, first world problems).  I do have a rather impressive list of ideas for running, recipe, and primal posts along with some nifty reviews I'm trying to finish up, so once we get past my Birthday weekend it will be full steam ahead.  Speaking of weekends, this weekend is the Endurance Sports Expo in Oaks, PA!
ESE is an opportunity to check out some of the latest and greatest "stuff" for running, biking, and triathlons.  Its also a great place to find out about some really cool races and get pumped about the upcoming season (if yours hasn't already started).  I plan on being there Saturday morning so if any readers want to meet up and talk running or food leave me a comment, otherwise I'll give you guys a breakdown of the expo when I get back. Since you guys have been so good about checking the blog often (I'm averaging 15 views a day which is getting pretty good for me) I'll leave you with something delicious! Hit the break for the recipe.

Chocolate Chili!


O yea! That’s right! I said it! CHOCOLATE! and CHILI! and yes, it is as amazing as it sounds.  I found this recipe in last months issue of Paleo Magazine and knew I had to try it. Its a little sweet, a little spicy, savory and overall awesome.

2 tablespoons coconut oil
2 medium onions, diced (about 2 cups)
4 cloves garlic, minced (about 4 teaspoons)
2 pounds ground beef
1 teaspoon dried oregano leaves
2 tablespoons chili powder
2 tablespoons ground cumin
1 1/2 tablespoons unsweetened cocoa
1 teaspoon ground allspice
1 teaspoon salt
1 can (6 ounces) tomato paste
1 can (14.5 ounces) fire-roasted, chopped tomatoes
1 can (14.5 ounces) beef broth
1 cup water

1. Heat a large, deep pot over medium-high heat, then add the coconut oil. When the oil is melted, add onions, stir with a wooden spoon and cook until they’re translucent, about 7 minutes. Add the garlic and as soon as it’s fragrant, about 30 seconds, crumble the ground meat into the pan with your hands, mixing with the wooden spoon to combine. Continue to cook the meat, stirring often, until it’s no longer pink.

2. In a small bowl, crush the oregano between your palms to release its flavor, then add the chili powder, cumin, cocoa, allspice, and salt. Combine with a fork, then add to the pot, stirring like you mean it. Add tomato paste and stir until combined, about 2 minutes.

3. Add the tomatoes with their juice, beef broth, and water to the pot. Stir well. Bring to a boil, then reduce the heat so the chili enjoys a gentle simmer. Simmer uncovered for at least two hours. Do not skimp on the simmer!

As always with Chili, it tastes better then it looks.

There you have it! This recipe was so good next time I make it I’m doing double batch.

1 comment:

  1. I'm going to try making this in the crockpot using either ground turkey or chicken instead of beef. Obviously then I'll be eliminating the oil and I'll probably eliminate the cup of water. I'll let you know how it turns out!

    ReplyDelete